Saturday, August 22, 2015

Saying Goodbye to Apple Pumpkin

After several days of not burning anything at all I'm finally  home long enough to burn this old Apple Pumpkin and say goodbye to it.I should get at least one more full evening of burning, if not two, and then whatever wax I have left I will melt down to turn into tarts.
How do I do that you ask?  I will tell you.  Once a candle gets to the point where the wick doesn't burn any longer I take the jar and put it on a small mug hot plate that looks like this;

After the jar sits on the hot plate for an hour or so the wax will be fully melted and it will still have a strong throw.  As much, if not more, than while it was burning with the flame.  So you will have additional good-smellie-ness from your candle.  You could very well continue enjoying your candle like this but I like to turn them into tarts.  I use silicone cupcake liners and lay them out on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Make sure there is something underneath your cups because hardened wax is a mess to clean up off the counter. Pour about 1/4 inch of the melted wax into each silicone cup and let harden.  Once the tarts have cooled they look almost like the real things produced by Yankee with the ridges around the edge.  Sometimes I can get as many as half a dozen or more new wax melts by finishing off my old candle.  So don't throw your candles away when they get to the bottom.  Turn them into melts.  I had never considered doing this until recently when I learned this tip online.  This is also a good way to rescue a candle that has tunneled.  I once bought a large jar on clearance from Kohls that was super cheap, as in, $5 cheap because the candle had been melted on it's side and the wick was pretty much non-existent.  I bought it and when I got home I put it on my little hot plate and melted it down until I could fish out the wick.  Once I found the wick I burned it until the whole thing had pooled across the top and I had a nice flat surface again.  I was very pleased with the results and I loved getting a deal.  I've never paid so little for a large jar before.


Today I went to the store because I had to have this;


I noticed they are all sold out online and that made me panic. I generally don't buy the fancy accessories because I'd rather spend the money on the candles themselves, but I took one look at this beautiful large jar sleeve and I fell in love.  I've been delaying buying one because, well, I'd rather spend the money on the candles that I was planning on buying right then.  I kept putting it off and I hoped a good sale on accessories would come up.  Well, this weekend YC put out a coupon of $20 off  $45 so I knew this was my chance.  I started looking on the website and initially was going to order but alas, they were all sold out of everything they had in this line.  I panicked and immediately called the store to see if they had one left and sure enough, there was one remaining so I had it put on hold.  I went in this morning to pick up my little goodie and also got a large jar of Maple Pancakes which is a current fall treasure and a melt cup of Sugar and Spice which I've been wanting for a couple of weeks and one of Spiced Pumpkin.  It smells just like pumpkin pie! 

I am so excited because the manager of the store has invited me to come by to talk to her about maybe coming on part time.  I just started working full time at a local early childhood school in my area as a paraprofessional. In fact, I've had only two full days of work so far.  The same day I received a call to interview at this school I also received a call from the asst manage at the YC store and she asked if I was still interested in working for them.  Ummmm, yeah.  So finally I talked to the manager and I got the picture that she really wanted me to come on board as the assistant manager  but now that I have this full time para job I am only able to work part time for now and can fill in more hours during the holidays and over the summer. I think she is desperate for a couple of helpers now so I am going to go talk to her on Monday afternoon to see if we can hammer out a plan.  I'd really love to be her assistant manager, ultimately.  So, we'll see how this goes and we'll see if I have the energy and stamina to work both jobs.  I'm super excited.  I've been trying to get a job at this store for several years.  The old adage, "when it rains it pours" applies to both the negative and positive aspects of life.  I love that my life is pouring things that I have wanted for a very long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment