Sunday, June 26, 2016

What I Am Burning Today - Lemon Zest

Wow.  Two posts in one day!  Go me!

I want to start a new feature called "What I Am Burning Today".  I'm mostly doing this as kind of a candle diary for myself.  And maybe a review for people who are seeking info for specific scents. I have a notebook of all the tarts and votives that I burn.  I like to write notes about how they smell and how strong they are so that I can decide if I want to buy that particular scent in a large jar.  I like to look back and see what was going on in my little world when I chose to melt that scent so it's like a diary. At the top of each page I put the label of the tart on the page so I will have a visual reference of that scent. Here I will just include pictures of the jars as I am burning them.



Today I'm burning Lemon Zest.  Yankee currently has this one back as a returning Treasure during SAS and I wanted to see how much I like it and if I want to buy another one.  My current jar is a 2014 pour and is about half gone.  I haven't burned it since last year.  I remember burning it a lot in January along with Blueberry Muffin and really enjoying both of them together.  Today I'm doing Lemon Zest by itself.

Pooling time - 4-5 hours without a cozy.  This one seemed to take a long time to pool.  I've been burning it since 7:30 this morning and it's just now getting a decent pool. (It's currently about  in the afternoon) I've added a cozy to it to see if I can get it deeper.  I think a deep pool makes a better throw.

Scent - is just okay.  I really don't think it smells like true lemon.  If I closed my eyes and didn't know what scent it was supposed to be I would be able to tell it was a lemon one, but to me it's got a lot of bakery notes in it. There's some cakiness in it.  The overall scent is robust and fruity but smells a bit like a bakery scented lemon cleaner.  I guess that would be an artificial lemon scent.  Like artificial lemon extract. I really don't feel like it's a true-to-life lemon scent. I think I prefer Lemon Sugar. That's also a bakery scent but it's much  more sweet and to me more enjoyable because it doesn't smell like lemon cleaner. As I said earlier this candle goes really good with Blueberry Muffin.come to think of it, my blueberry muffin I've never burned alone until last week. Last week I burned it alone and I noticed I didn't get much of a throw in it.  I was really disappointed because I seem to remember before that I really enjoyed it and I thought it was pretty strong. Maybe it was this Lemon Zest that I was actually smelling. I have purchased a back up Blueberry Muffin jar (because I thought I loved it) and also have two Blueberry Scone jars(because I actually do love it) so I might just get an additional Lemon Zest one to go with those jars.  But then again, my rule for purchasing dupes is that I have to love the scent, not just like it, and I really don't love this one.  So I'm not sure what I'll do.  Maybe I'll wait until next year to see if it comes around again.

Throw - Is medium. I originally had it on the dresser in our bedroom but I couldn't smell it at all after several hours.  I was very surprised by that as I remember being able to smell it in the living room when I burned it there last year, although it was light. I finally moved it to the table next to where I'm sitting in my bedroom and I can now smell it.  I've been enjoying it but it's still pretty light.  I think I go nose-blind for a little while and then if I leave the room and come back in, it's stronger.

Summary - out of all the lemon scents that Yankee makes it seems that people love this one the most. I have Meyer Lemon (got zero throw from that one when I first had it in a two wick tumbler and then was really stupid and bought another one because it was a glitch candle - now I can't decide if I'm to keep it and find out what a dud it is or if I'm going to return it for an exchange.) and Lemon Sugar (which was fabulous but also not a true-to-life lemon.)  They also make Sicilian Lemon and Lemon and Lime.  I've heard Sicilian Lemon is light and disappointing and that Lemon and Lime is one of the best fruity scents that Yankee makes.  I hope to get that one one day, but I'm still undecided if I will get a back up of this Lemon Zest.

1 comment:

  1. it is nice to visit your site.great blog.
    www.sprycandles.co.uk

    ReplyDelete